Monday, October 5, 2009

I'm addicted to Facebook

Chapter 11: I am a person who rarely used the internet until facebook came out and now I’m addicted. I check my facebook page about twenty minutes, sometimes more now that I have the application on my Blackberry. I talk more now to my family and friends than I ever have. Not only do I talk more to them through facebook I also have learned a lot more about them, especially my mother, through different surveys that she has taken. This type of interaction between students is the norm and should be taken advantaged of in the classroom with the approval from parents and the schools like mentioned in the book. Until reading this chapter I never realized how many outside applications facebook has especially the one called “courses” that allow students to share notes, manage activities, and start discussion forums. This would be a great tool to have students help each other with homework assignments or group projects.

Another thing from this chapter that caught my attention was the use of Livemocha. Although the concept of teaching and learning other languages, via texting and video, allows learners to study the language through native speakers without having to actually go outside their home is great, but does it take away from the actual experiences of going abroad? I believe it does. I know not everyone has the money or opportunity to go to another country and study the language, but I think if a person who does have the opportunity might not take it because they have this choice. I am in favor of technology and using it to its fullest, but when is it too much? Yes, technology opens the door for many social connections around the world, but I don’t find it to be always the best way. I still like the face-to-face interaction. I know there are webcams, but for me, it’s not the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment